He thought the cooler —which sits on four wheels, is equipped with cup holders, a radio and a connection for an MP3 player — would be great for quick trips.
After starting out with just one horsepower — and the ability to travel just one kilometre per hour — Rideout took it to a fabrication shop where a turbo-charged 5.5-horsepower motor was added, enabling it to travel 50 km/h.
Rideout said he was stopped by police twice; once to tell him he had to wear a helmet, a second time telling him to keep it on the sidewalk.
Four days later, while driving to a store, he was issued a ticket for driving on a sidewalk and fined $222.
Rideout has decided to fight that $222 ticket, and I can't really say I blame him. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to run into that sumbitch on one of my local sidewalks and Staff Sgt. Walter Rutherford does say that under the highway traffic act you can only drive a motorized vehicle on a sidewalk if it's a wheelchair or one of those disability scooters, but on the other hand he was told to drive it there by another officer so he may have a tiny bit of a case.
I'm just amazed that we can finally report a story about somebody driving a customized cooler/barstool/chair that doesn't involve the person being hammered out of his tree.

No comments:
Post a Comment