Thursday, July 14, 2011
What A Difference A Dog Makes!
Since I've been such a blog slacker this year, I missed the April assistance dog blog carnival. Plus I was kinda stressed out by something which I still need to write about. But anyway, the July one came up and I decided I was going to do my best to hit it. So I went to read about it. This is what I read. The topic is "the difference", and the deadline hit me on the head like a rock. "July 22..." That is a very significant date for me when it comes to dogs, because July 22, 2005 was the day I had to give Babs back to the school and accept that she needed to be retired just 8 weeks after bringing her home.
So, I could not ignore this carnival, even if I wanted to, especially since the topic was "the difference". I thought about my training with Babs versus training with Trixie, and what a difference it made to be prepared, to know what not to do, and to know how better to stand up and ask about things that worried me. What a difference a couple of years and choice of school made. What a difference between dogs. Just, what a difference!
Ok, let's slow down. How about we meet Babs, shall we? Everything I ever wrote about her is in there. I even put up my training journals, although I posted them 3 years after the fact.
Babs, god love her, did the best she could. She served a purpose, even though it wasn't to be my guide dog for years to come. When she was good, she was freaking amazing. But oh, oh, when things were bad, they were baaaaaad.
But I, also, didn't have a clue. I went into training with minimal ideas of what to expect, how to deal with things when they didn't go so well, or what was just plain old wrong. I didn't know dog switches were possible, nor had I a clue about how many dogs' careers were ended early. I was living in a dream world of la la la, I'm going to have a guide dog, things are gonna be great, la dee dee.
Then, Babs came along to shake up my world. First off, I don't think we were a good match. She was dominant as all hell, and I was timid at the time. She was more dog than I could probably handle. Plus, as I discovered in training, she was ill.
As we found out, we didn't work out. On July 22, they came to get her. "I'll need the harness, the leash, and her medication," Peter said as he stood at my door. This man had driven me around on many training routes, and now he'd been dispatched to come get my dog. Medically, behaviourally, she wasn't going to work out. So off she went to live with a family who would love her as a pet. And I was left to wonder just how I'd managed to fail so epically. I didn't blame myself for the medical issues, but I gave myself hell for allowing her to think she was alpha.
Fast forward to March 21, 2007. I was going to get a female black lab named Trixie. That morning, I went over in my head what I would do differently, and even so, I wasn't sure I could get it right this time.
When they introduced me to Trixie, among other descriptive details, they said she was 55 pounds. My heart must have landed in my throat. After all, Babs was 52 pounds, and she was too much for me. What was I headed for with a 55-pounder? "Are you happy with her?" the trainer asked as I processed all her information as best I could. I managed to say yes, but I was scared shitless. But I was soon to find out the difference between Babs and Trixie was like night and day.
For one, the training was different. I was in a class full of new dog handlers, which meant the instructors had lots of time for us and the class was geared for the newb. When I trained with Babs, inexplicably, they put me in a retrain class. They promised me individualized training, but at the end of the day, the ratio was still 4 students to 1 instructor, and a limited amount of time. It wasn't gonna happen.
Second, Trix is a totally different dog with a totally different pull. If she wants to, she can pull like a freight train, but that isn't her constant speed. And although food can be o so tempting, she isn't driven to it as much as Babs was. Plus, she doesn't think of herself as the alpha. What a huge difference that is alone! And perhaps most importantly, she's been a very healthy dog, so much so that the rare times she's sick, I don't know what to do.
And finally, when my time with Trix came around, I knew a few things, and had made about six zillion mistakes with Babs, so I was determined not to make them again with Trix. And although I may have made a few with Trix, they weren't nearly so catastrophic. As well, with Trix, if anything didn't look right at all, I would speak up about it immediately. I accepted so much on blind faith when I went to get Babs. That was not going to happen again.
So, the one thing I have learned from all of this is everything can make a difference, from the dog, to the kind of training, to the handler's experience level and state of mind. All of it makes the package. Change one thing, and what a difference!
And even though it may sound like I don't have much good to say about Babs, she made a difference in my life too, making me decide that I do want a guide dog despite all our troubles. I still feel her mark on my heart to this day. I think about her, and wonder how she's doing. Babs, I hope you're happy wherever you are, enjoying life as a different kind of dog, a pet.
So, I could not ignore this carnival, even if I wanted to, especially since the topic was "the difference". I thought about my training with Babs versus training with Trixie, and what a difference it made to be prepared, to know what not to do, and to know how better to stand up and ask about things that worried me. What a difference a couple of years and choice of school made. What a difference between dogs. Just, what a difference!
Ok, let's slow down. How about we meet Babs, shall we? Everything I ever wrote about her is in there. I even put up my training journals, although I posted them 3 years after the fact.
Babs, god love her, did the best she could. She served a purpose, even though it wasn't to be my guide dog for years to come. When she was good, she was freaking amazing. But oh, oh, when things were bad, they were baaaaaad.
But I, also, didn't have a clue. I went into training with minimal ideas of what to expect, how to deal with things when they didn't go so well, or what was just plain old wrong. I didn't know dog switches were possible, nor had I a clue about how many dogs' careers were ended early. I was living in a dream world of la la la, I'm going to have a guide dog, things are gonna be great, la dee dee.
Then, Babs came along to shake up my world. First off, I don't think we were a good match. She was dominant as all hell, and I was timid at the time. She was more dog than I could probably handle. Plus, as I discovered in training, she was ill.
As we found out, we didn't work out. On July 22, they came to get her. "I'll need the harness, the leash, and her medication," Peter said as he stood at my door. This man had driven me around on many training routes, and now he'd been dispatched to come get my dog. Medically, behaviourally, she wasn't going to work out. So off she went to live with a family who would love her as a pet. And I was left to wonder just how I'd managed to fail so epically. I didn't blame myself for the medical issues, but I gave myself hell for allowing her to think she was alpha.
Fast forward to March 21, 2007. I was going to get a female black lab named Trixie. That morning, I went over in my head what I would do differently, and even so, I wasn't sure I could get it right this time.
When they introduced me to Trixie, among other descriptive details, they said she was 55 pounds. My heart must have landed in my throat. After all, Babs was 52 pounds, and she was too much for me. What was I headed for with a 55-pounder? "Are you happy with her?" the trainer asked as I processed all her information as best I could. I managed to say yes, but I was scared shitless. But I was soon to find out the difference between Babs and Trixie was like night and day.
For one, the training was different. I was in a class full of new dog handlers, which meant the instructors had lots of time for us and the class was geared for the newb. When I trained with Babs, inexplicably, they put me in a retrain class. They promised me individualized training, but at the end of the day, the ratio was still 4 students to 1 instructor, and a limited amount of time. It wasn't gonna happen.
Second, Trix is a totally different dog with a totally different pull. If she wants to, she can pull like a freight train, but that isn't her constant speed. And although food can be o so tempting, she isn't driven to it as much as Babs was. Plus, she doesn't think of herself as the alpha. What a huge difference that is alone! And perhaps most importantly, she's been a very healthy dog, so much so that the rare times she's sick, I don't know what to do.
And finally, when my time with Trix came around, I knew a few things, and had made about six zillion mistakes with Babs, so I was determined not to make them again with Trix. And although I may have made a few with Trix, they weren't nearly so catastrophic. As well, with Trix, if anything didn't look right at all, I would speak up about it immediately. I accepted so much on blind faith when I went to get Babs. That was not going to happen again.
So, the one thing I have learned from all of this is everything can make a difference, from the dog, to the kind of training, to the handler's experience level and state of mind. All of it makes the package. Change one thing, and what a difference!
And even though it may sound like I don't have much good to say about Babs, she made a difference in my life too, making me decide that I do want a guide dog despite all our troubles. I still feel her mark on my heart to this day. I think about her, and wonder how she's doing. Babs, I hope you're happy wherever you are, enjoying life as a different kind of dog, a pet.
Labels:
Babs,
dogs,
guide dogs,
Trixie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
There's another carnival? Where have I been?
I tend to forget Trixie wasn't your first dog. I can't imagine you with anyone else! Who knows, maybe you needed that time with Babs to be the handler you are with Trixie eh? She most definitely made an important difference in your life. Man, I sure wish you knew how to find out about her!
I should just friggin grow a spine and pick up the phone. At least I could say for sure then that they don't know anything.
Great post Karen, and really interesting to read.
That was obviously a huge learning curve. Its got me thinking what I will do differently with my next dog, if anything. New dogs can teach us so much, whether they are working or pet dogs.
Great post!
Oh heavens...I read through your Babs training journals, and I was really shocked by how different your experience was from mine! I mean granted, I'm working with a service dog not a guide, but some of the differences were really shocking. It seems to me that your first guide dog school did very little to prepare you for being independent, and had very little expectation of actual independence (given their expectation that someone else would fill out your paperwork!)
I'm very glad that your second experience worked out so much better than the first.
I think that a lot of preparing a handler for an assistance dog is in the approach. I mean, I knew you needed to be firm with a dog, but my school did a lot of educating us on just what they meant by 'firm'. They also...well, they gave us more opportunity to screw up and learn. I think you have to have the opportunity to make mistakes in front of your trainers to really learn.
~Kali
Yeah I totally agree. Screwing up in front of your trainer is the best possible thing to do. Then you know what to do when at home!
Yeah that school, for me at least, was an experience and a half.
I couldn't find the Babs training journals. Can you put up a link to them? When I clicked on "meet Babs" I got a lot of old posts, but most of them didn't seem to be about her. I would really like to know the background and context for the differences between Trixie and Babs!
Hmmm. How about I link you to the training journals? The Trixie ones are in there too, but the Babs ones were posted after a year with Trixie, so you'll come upon them first. I also linked to a few other training journals too. http://vomitcomet.blogspot.com/search/label/training%20journals
OK, that was the problem last time. I kept getting all these Trixie posts and finally gave up. This time I clicked on "Older posts" and found the Babs journal. This is gonna take a long time to read, and unfortunately, it's addictive because you are so damn funny, and it's very interesting. And I need to go to bed early tonight. Sigh.
However, this was an interesting perspective for me because I forget about people who go through programs and have a dog wash out after placement. My fears are always about my dog washing out during training, because they are my dog that I'm training! I tend to think of guide dog school washouts happening BEFORE they're teamed up. Well, it's a nightmare no matter when it happens, isn't it?
I will look forward to reading more of your old posts as time permits!
Hahahaa glad you enjoy them.
Yeah, no matter how it happens. Washint out sucks. It's so heartbreaking.
Great post Carin! I'm so sorry that Babs didn't work out and that the first program didn't give you the individual attention that all first-time guide dog handlers need. Gilbert, who is my first guide dog, has worked out beautifully, but my parents did have to return a pet we had several years ago that we couldn't handle, so I know how heartbreaking a washout must be. But no experience is a total failure if it allows you to learn lessons for the future. I'm so happy that Trixie was a successful match for you.
Post a Comment